It doesn't feel like 3 weeks have passed since my last post. Medicine's been so full-on I haven't had the chance to stop and reflect on things like I usually do. Over the past few weeks I've been sinking into the routine of - 1. Wake up 2. Eat breakfast 3. Go to the hospital 4. Come back from hospital 5. Study 6. Dinner 7. Study 8. Skype mikorikawa 9. Sleep. Not that I have problem with routine, I actually quite enjoy having things in order and knowing what to expect during the day. It's just some moments when I realise I've been doing the same damn thing every single day for the past few weeks that I question whether this is really okay with me. There are weekends, of course. But those are for catching up on study and doing those bloody case histories we're supposed to hand in every week. Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into when I signed up for medicine. Makes me wonder why so many people want to do it when you have to give up so much. I'm definitely not ambitious. Turns out that most people who do medicine are. You have to push for what you want if you want to succeed in any career, now that I think about it. And medicine is no different.


Doing med certainly makes you grow up very quickly, even if you don't want to. Especially once you get to 4th year and beyond. You're forced to go out into foreign parts of the country on your own and arrange everything for yourself on top of all the study you're meant to keep up with. Don't have a car? Don't have a licence? Too bad. You're supposed to have those by now. Never left your parental home? Well now is the time to. I guess by the age of 21 most people would be able to do those things. And it turns out a lot of people do enjoy that aspect of getting out there and doing things. But unfortunately I'm not like most people. I do like sticking to what's familiar if I can help it.

I guess I've come to accept that I can no longer keep up with those time-consuming hobbies I used to enjoy so much. Watching anime and tv series, reading manga, playing games, MTG drafting ... I guess those things don't get you anywhere in the long run. Although I probably could do some of those things if I made time. I'd just have to make sure I didn't get carried away with doing those activities. Which is easy to do. Especially anime. I haven't even had time to blog recently but that's something I don't want to give up. It's really good to look back and reflect on things that have happened and the thoughts you had at the time. Before I used to blog to get stuff out of my head but that was back when I had too much time on my hands and thought about stuff more than I should have been. Nevertheless, I want to keep this blog going, whatever the reason. I just like it.

Anyhow I should probably get on with doing some things tonight. Even though its a Friday night and I don't usually get much done on days like this I should probably make an effort.

In the Heart of Medicine

Posted on

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Category

,

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jeff! Welcome to my blog, where I share random thoughts and things about my life. Enjoy :)