It's that all too common feeling I get when it seems like everybody else gets a weekend except you. Some people get jealous that I get 6 weeks of annual leave each year but we pay for it in lost weekends. And working nights. It's easy for non-medical people to take their cushy 9-5 jobs for granted. I happen to be working night shifts starting Saturday night to Tuesday night. Go me.

Anyhow I've just done my first week of O&G and it's by far the most disorganised and chaotic run I've had the displeasure of working in so far. I suppose it is a "senior house officer" role we're supposed to be doing and I guess I'm not used to working without the supervision of a more senior doctor present. I mean sure, there are people around, but they're just really hard to get hold of. Especially when it's your first week and you haven't done O&G in almost 2 years. It's been a bit rough. Fortunately it's not just me and the others are feeling similarly as well, and we help each other out, which is nice. Hopefully things will get better.

I've recently accepted a job offer in Auckland for which I'm due to start in November but have no idea which DHB I'll be working at and no idea what runs I'll be doing. Seems kind of unfair how we have to resign 3 months in advance yet the DHB's have no obligation to tell you anything about your new job. It's amusing how last year when I tried to apply for a job they were really pushing me to work for them whereas this year they're not even bothering to care if I had all my references in on time. I'm wondering if it's becoming an employer's job market again. How can I have any bargaining power about my runs if I've already resigned from my last job and can't go back? It's so bizarre. The things I do to get out of Hamilton.

Seems strange how I'm going to be leaving Waikato Hospital finally. After working there almost 2 years now the system is so familiar to me, the way things work and the people to talk to. It's going to take time to get used to a new system again. It's not like I wanted to be in Hamilton in the first place but the work wasn't too bad at all. I just wish there were more things to do and more people around to do things with. I've already arranged to go back to Auckland next weekend to catch up with a few people and have a break from Hamilton since if I stayed in Hamilton I'd probably just stay in my room, play games and sleep. Not much of a life at all. What's the point in having weekends off when there's nothing to do? May as well go back to work?!

Anyhow this is a somewhat random post on a random Saturday before my night shifts start. I haven't put much thought into this post but then again it's hard to say I put a lot of thought into this blog into the first place. I'm not even sure who reads this stuff, probably mostly bored facebook stalkers since that seems to be where most of the traffic comes from. If you're one of them, get off facebook and go do something useful with your life :P

It's the Weekend, but not for me!

Posted on

Saturday, August 29, 2015

1 Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jeff! Welcome to my blog, where I share random thoughts and things about my life. Enjoy :)