Not a lot on my agenda at the moment. Had a quiet weekend spent mostly at home trying to study but getting distracted by Starcraft and anime. Somehow even when I have time on my hands like this it just seems that I'm no more productive than when I have things on. Perhaps the lack of formal assessment for Emergency Medicine has dulled my ambitions and I suppose having those exams and stuff are good in motivating me to keep on top of things. Not that I like exams, don't get me wrong.

Emergency Medicine's been really good so far. The shift work is quite light in that you're only assigned for 3 shifts a week (although some of those are at night) and people are generally quite nice (except one registrar which I won't get started on). Its really good to see acute cases since the majority of them are really unwell and you get to see the results of your treatments right away rather than sending them off with a prescription and telling them to come back in a week's time. Although being a medical student I kinda just try to stay out of the way most of the time, I do try to get involved as much as I can, even if it is just passing the lure plug to the nurse or holding down limbs in convulsing patients. It's good to feel useful, even if you're not really doing much. I find getting involved in things helps pass time faster than just standing around all the time. Emergency medicine does spark a bit of an interest in me. Although it is a fast paced environment and you would have a lot on your shoulders I find the whole hands-on nature of the specialty really appealing. I guess I find in ED I'm getting to do a lot more than all of my previous clinical attachments (especially psychiatry) and as a student its probably one of the best places to be to get some hands-on experience. Just feels great to finally be able to do stuff I guess, even though I don't consider myself a hugely practically oriented person.

University work aside, life's been pretty steady otherwise. Been hanging out a bit with Pochama and friends, and little mikorikawa too ^^. Pochama's been acting up recently and I'm getting a little concerned about him. Hopefully I'll see him tomorrow in ED, since his ambulance shift coincides with my hospital one. Looking forward to catching up with misty_angel26 hopefully sometime this week too, she owes me lunch >=). I can't say my social life is all that active at the moment, but with everyone being so busy with uni work and jobs I'm glad to even have one at all.

Just had a 40min chat with mum and dad so forgive me for losing my train of thought. Oh yeah, next weekend I have another 21st party to attend and also going skiing with some friends at SnowPlanet ^^. At least those are some things to look forward to. Progress on my hidden agenda seems to be going well so far, I'm hoping things improve by the time I have to go to Rotorua, otherwise outcomes will potentially be adversely affected. People say I have a lot of things going for me, I guess I doubt my abilities too much. I'm trying to take things slowly, because I have a feeling if I rush through things, the opportunity will be lost forever. But I think if I play my cards right, good things will start to happen, and I'm counting on it.

Oh, where has the evening gone, looks like its time for bed already T.T well guess I'll leave things here for tonight. I'm sure there was something else I wanted to mention here, guess it'll have to wait til next time.

Quiet days

Posted on

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jeff! Welcome to my blog, where I share random thoughts and things about my life. Enjoy :)