We were learning about vital signs today. Yeah, pulse, O2 sats, ventilation rate, and, of course, BLOOD PRESSURE @@! Why oh why do I suck so bad at taking blood pressures ><. I thought I'd practiced it time and time again on my mum back in Rotorua with dad's equipment but I guess I forgot that I'd have to deal with patients with flabby/fatty arms where finding pulses is a nightmare (particularly when you're doing it in front of a registrar and 3 of your peers). Lucklily for me my registrar was very patient and she took me around to a few other patients to take their pressures after failing so bad on the first ones, and eventually I got it right (on a skinny old lady whose diastolic didn't seem to want to fade away). I guess its not so bad being the geriatric ward, since if I'm to make a goddamn fool of myself its better to do so as a third year than a 4th/5th year/TI...if I can take a BP off those seniors then I'm pretty sure I can take one off anyone in the future (or at least I hope).

Other than epically failing at taking BP's I guess the rest of the ward was pretty good. Again, I was lucky with my patient and got someone pretty nice. T'is a pity we still have to do stuff in pairs since I kinda want to try a history by myself although it's sometimes good to see how other people phrase their questions and stuff. I think my partner today has had quite a bit of clinical experience in the past so it was good to see how he went about things when we saw our patient. I hope next time I'll get to try one on my own, though.

Went and saw Toy Story 3 yesterday with some friends. It was my first time seeing a movie in IMAX theatre so it was quite an experience. The Night and Day short film was a little too random for my liking, though. The whole thing just seemed to be one of those things animators do to show off how cool they are at doing random stuff people don't normally (or want to) see. Toy Story 3 itself was pretty entertaining (well, as far as Pixar Disney movies go) with lots of amusing moments and a good take home message as well. Overall it was quite a bargain, for only costing $10 and being all 3D and IMAX. Much better than Knight and Day at any rate. That one seemed to me to be the stereotypical fast-paced action movie abundant with "people in fast cars with guns shooting at each other on the motorway" scenes with the recurring "helpless female caught up in some big nasty plot for world domination who the protagonist inevitably falls in love with" theme so common in these types of films. Even Transformers was better, cuz the robots were at least kind of cool. I don't mean to be a film critic (I hate people who sit around all day long criticizing things) but sometimes I just wonder if the people making all these films have run out of ideas or something. Perhaps I should INCEPT some new ones into their minds >=D /badjoke =.=
Inception was amazing (although I was kinda wtf for the first 30mins) and it certainly puts an interesting twist on the way one can perceive reality. How can one distinguish between a dream and reality? Even if you do have one of them 'totem' thingies how can you be certain the world you made the totem in wasn't just another dream? Ah @@ my head. I'd like to try out one of those dream terminal/cafe places though. They seem like fun ^^

So what else is there. Nothing much really. Got my Critical Literature Review topic approved today (yay for stem cells). Still haven't decided on what to do about hospitals yet. Thinking of swapping groups with someone actually. Hm, need to get onto that one. Stuff seems to be breaking rather frequently this week. First my glasses nosepiece broke (still needs fixing, argh) then my watch (just before my wards too =.= how convenient...) and my DS failed to wake me up 2 mornings in a row (missed 8am start yesterday ><) so I think something may be wrong there. Sigh, so annoying. Should really be getting down to some work tonight. I think I've ranted enough for one evening.

Sayonara~

Another Day on the Ward

Posted on

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

2 Comments
  1. Ayeeeee? Does the DS have to be on for the alarm to work? And I hate taking blood pressures too :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it does. I usually leave mine on standby overnight but I think sometimes the standby fails and the battery dies =(

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jeff! Welcome to my blog, where I share random thoughts and things about my life. Enjoy :)