I woke up at 5am yesterday morning to make these babies. Took 3 hours to make them and were gone within 15mins at Ice's picnic at her house. I'm still pretty inexperienced at making these things (hence the long time it took to prepare) but I was pretty surprised at how well they turned out. My first few onigiri turned out a real mess, being the health-conscious person I am I ran the classic error of attempting to overstuff the filling (since I had plenty of real good vegetables in there), resulting in the rice ball pretty much exploding as soon as it was out of the mould. Now I know exploding onigiri might sound like fun, but trust me it isn't. Those which I tried to overstuff ended up in a huge sticky mess of rice, filling and seaweed which stuck to the chopping board, the table, to fingers, or pretty much any surface really. I was faced with the dilemma of wondering what the hell to do with such a big mess of fail onigiri, until I had the sudden idea of just pressing the big mess into the mould and wrapping it up with seaweed. Yeah, those 6 onigiri at the back were failures. Still, 9/15 is still alright, isn't it? That's exactly 60% success, which sounds pretty passable as far as I'm concerned. At least I managed to salvage those failures into something respectable-looking (and hopefully tasting), sometimes I surprise myself at my own ingenuinity, heh.

So, had some good times at the picnic yesterday with some good weather, good company and good food. I won't say anything about the unexpected tramp through the forest apart from the fact that I would have worn my walking shoes if I knew such an expedition was imminent. Not that I mind walking too much, at least it wasn't like muddy or anything. Played some SC2 afterwards at iPlay which was pretty fun. Almost won my first Raynor party, lolz.

Ah, looks like it's almost time to go. Today we're supposed to be meeting up for ice-cream at Giapo where they've got some kind of deal going on. I have to get the laundry out from the wash and hang it up before I go pick some people up from uni who need to get some stuff from my place for Coromandel. I guess I'll be going now.

Onigiri Time

Posted on

Sunday, November 14, 2010

1 Comment
  1. You forgot that laundry didn't you? :P Mind you I did as well so I fail just as much >.<.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jeff! Welcome to my blog, where I share random thoughts and things about my life. Enjoy :)